Ask me what I need ! Autism Awareness Training Video for Emergency Services
Autism awareness Training video about the needs of Autistic Youth and Adults during Emergency, Hazard, Disaster or Relief Operations
Ask me what I need!
This project is funded under the joint State and the Commonwealth Natural Disaster Resilience Program - NSW.
Project: Development of a training video creating awareness of the needs of autistic youth and adults during emergency, hazard, disaster or relief operations for volunteers and Emergency Services personnel in New South Wales.
Project Manager: Berinda Karp NEXT STEP INC Berinda.karp@nextstep .org.au
Evaluation from extensive community consultation with both emergency services and autistic adults, this short video addresses the main strategies identified as best practice to assist people in emergency situations.
In the Video, the representatives from Fire and Rescue NSW - Martin, Red Cross NSW - Sandra, Project Manager and Autism Consultant - Berinda and Autistic adults - Ethan, Haydn and Jade, expressed their own perspectives about strategies to best help autistics and those that identify as neurodivergent, in a variety of emergency situations.
The objectives of this project are to provide;
• Awareness and acknowledgement of the needs of autistic adults when they are placed in an emergency environment.
• Emergency services personnel with appropriate strategies to implement as required.
The main one being: To ask the person what they NEED
Autism in the population of Australia is estimated at 1 in 68. Many autistic adults have co-morbid conditions being mental health issues, diabetes, heart conditions, sensory impairments and physical conditions.
This video is an introduction only. We plan for further in-depth training opportunities in these areas of need:
• In-depth professional development training for staff and volunteers in relation to disability awareness and strategies to assist people in situations • Disability awareness within the system for those volunteers and staff with Autism
• Skills development for autistic adults about procedures within emergency services to help them manage better if they are in situations where they need assistance.
What to expect on the night
- Drinks and canapes
- Entertainment by Jessica and Karen
- Brief presentation about the project
- Viewing the Training Video ‘Ask me What I need?’
- Short evaluation and feedback