Calne Heritage Week
Celebrate the people, places and events of Calne’s past with a daily programme of free events from 4th to 10th September. Step inside some of Calne’s most intriguing buildings, meet the people who look after the surrounding landscapes and learn something new about this historic Wiltshire town. For example, did you know Calne Quakers travelled to America in the 1600s with Willian Penn who founded Pennsylvania?
The full Calne Heritage Week programme will be announced towards the end of June, with a mixture of popular events from the previous two years and some new additions.
The programme will include:
- A town-wide Open Doors Day on Saturday 9th September, with the opportunity to step inside many historic buildings both within Calne’s Heritage Quarter and further afield.
- A number of fascinating guided walks and talks at Calne Heritage Centre
- Discounted entry to Bowood House & Gardens on Sunday 10th September (with voucher, terms apply)
New for this year:
- Guided walks with the National Trust at Cherhill Down and Wiltshire Wildlife Trust at Morgan’s Hill
- Bell-ringing taster sessions at St Marys Church
- New speakers including David Dawson, the Curator of Wiltshire Museum
Free events from Thursday 7th to Sunday 10th September will also be part of the national Heritage Open Days event.
Parking: two hours free parking at Calne Heritage Quarter car park accessed from the A4, where you can also enjoy Calne's historic streets, Heritage Centre and independent shops.
Bus: Calne is well connected to Chippenham, Lyneham, Royal Wootton Bassett, Swindon and Devizes with regular 55 and 33 services stopping in the town centre.