LGBTQIA+ Basics: How to build safe spaces for young people (Free training)
Minus18 training is designed to empower teachers to become leaders in inclusivity. How? By diving into the understanding the importance of inclusive language, elevating visibility for the LGBTQIA+ community, as well as workshopping practical techniques to enhance inclusion in your school.
We'll create a positive environment for all participants to ask questions in a judgement-free environment, and become champions for LGBTQIA+ people.
Who is this for?
Teachers, school staff, and anyone who works in education. And if you're studying teaching or education, we'd love to have you attend too! We'd particularly love to engage with those from Rural and Regional areas!
- LGBTIQ identities: A breakdown of key concepts, identities and definitions surrounding sex, gender and sexuality – including terms and language used within the LGBTQIA+ community.
- Personal stories: Minus18 workshop presenters share their own experiences and LGBTQIA+ identities.
- The Barriers: Understanding of the barriers that LGBTQIA+ youth face in their personal lives, at school and when accessing services.
- Inclusive Language: Inclusive language and the positive effects of incorporating gender-neutral language in the classroom.
- Actionable Toolkit: Attendees leave with strategies to personally and practically support LGBTQIA+ youth, and feel empowered to promote inclusion, stand up to discrimination, and to be role-models for young people in the classroom.
We acknowledge that this event is being held on stolen land, and we pay our respects to elders past, present and emerging. Sovereignty was never ceded and treaties were never signed; this is and always will be Aboriginal land.
Frequently asked questions:
Is there a cost?
- Nope! The training is being offered for FREE!
- There is an option to purchase a lanyard with your registration - these will be available for pick-up from our amazing crew at the event. All proceeds go to supporting queer youth!
Is this a public event?
- Absolutely - any teachers, school staff, and anyone who works in education are welcome to attend!
Is the session suitable for those from Rural and Regional schools?
- Most definitely! This workshop comes as a Minus18 are on the road delivering education to Rural and Regional areas. We welcome those travelling from afar and the amazing folk at SHINE SA are currently even exploring the possibility of holding a follow-up session the next morning to help make your time worthwhile!
Is the venue accessible?
- Please get in touch with us for any access requirements. This venue is a stepped lecture theatre but we will certainly do our best to accommodate any requirements.
What else do Minus18 offer?