Masterclass 4: Making Space for Culture
The City of Sydney, in collaboration with the City of Melbourne and City of Perth, are sponsoring a study tour of Australia by global thought leader and culture specialist Tim Jones (Artscape) from Canada. Tim has been providing expert advice to the World Cities Cultural Forum and authored the seminal
For the first time ever in Australia, Tim Jones (Artscape) from Canada will present on the practicalities of going from creative to property developer and providing spaces for culture in his hometown of Toronto, Canada.
The masterclass will incorporate presentations and workshops that will help you to critically analyse the gaps, opportunities and levers for making space for culture in your LGA. It will also showcase Australian case studies on funding and finance, planning and policy and space development and provisions. It will push you to rethink how you can use the planning system as a mechanism to promote liveability and productivity by making space for culture.
What will I get out of it?
By attending this event you will learn how to translate key learnings into practical solutions to increase the amount and diversity of cultural spaces in your local government area.
You will strengthen your network and gain new knowledge and skills in:
- How creative space and culture are defined in NSW/Australia
- The benefits of providing different types of cultural spaces in developments to promote liveability, productivity and sustainability outcomes
- Embedding culture in future strategic planning
- The key levers and important factors that support creation of spaces for culture.
- Local case studies that demonstrate best practice in cultural space development – from inception to delivery
- The current status, gaps, opportunities and possible ways for planners and cultural managers to broker more cultural spaces in your LGA
- Unpacking the NSW Government’s Cultural infrastructure Plan, making it easier to plan for cultural space, access support and funding.
- Tim Jones, CEO Artscape
- Anna Huggins, Manager Infrastructure Strategy & Development, Create Victoria
- Ben Pechey, Manager Planning Policy, City of Sydney
- Azmeena Kelly, Manager Standards & Policy, City of Sydney
- Sasha Ward, Creative Spaces manager, City of Melbourne
- Lisa Colley, Manager Cultural Strategy, City of Sydney
- Amanda Buckland, Manager Cultural Strategy, Inner West Council
- Craig Limkin, Executive Director Cultural Infrastructure, Create NSW
The masterclass will feature key insights from experts in the field and is a not to be missed event.
For a copy of the full program, please contact Harumi Arrascue (details below).
ABOUT TIM JONES (CEO, Artscape)
For the past 21 years Tim has led a not-for-profit urban development organisation (
Currently Artscape maintains a portfolio of 14 affordable commercial and residential properties with more than half a million square feet of floorspace in use by 2,700 tenants, members and owners.
Closes: 5pm on Wednesday 5 June 2019
Places are limited to two representatives per LGA. Priority will be given to Managers of Culture and Strategic Land Use Planning (or their equivalent).
Interested officers (in addition to the allocated 2 positions) may put their name down on a waitlist. A review of numbers will be undertaken on Thursday 6 June 2019, with additional places offered to those on the wait list should they be available.
Directors interested in attending the Tim Jones keynote session only are requested to register their interest by contacting Harumi Arrascue (details below).
If the event is oversubscribed, registered participants may be contacted to gauge their interest in attendance and the relevancy of the masterclass to their role at Council.
Public transport to the event is encouraged.
For further information on this masterclass please contact:
Harumi Arrascue, City of Sydney Council
02 9246 7876
City of Sydney Council
Town Hall House, Sydney, 2000, NSW, Australia