Start with Scratch: Adventures In Time, [Ages 7-10], 9 Dec - 13 Dec Holiday Camp (9:30AM) @ Orchard
Harness the power of the Scratch block and learn more about the different civilisations while learning to code!Explore the city of Machu Picchu, sail the treacherous seas and meet South Africa’s oldest inhabitants. It’s time to combine your wit and snap blocks together with Scratch programming. All aboard the time machine!
KEEPIN’ IT SHORT & SNAPPY
- No experience necessary: Recommended starting course for kids 7+
- In depth intro to block-based programming
- Code with purpose: learn more about civilisations while learning programming concepts
- Scratch is free! Continue the learning at home
“My children, ages 10 and 7, found the class creative and interesting, and I was impressed by the games they managed to create. Most importantly, they're now excited by the world of programming. Highly recommended!” - Maya, Parent
Adventurers Assemble!Travel back in time! With every quest you complete, you’ll grow one step closer to building your own final project at the end. Are you ready to code? Your journey will take you far and wide...From the ancient city of Machu Picchu, where dangers lurk around every corner. Master the motion block to help the Inca villagers pick up items they need in order to deliver urgent messages to their King.
Then...Sail right to the heart of 7th Century Northern Europe, when the Vikings roamed the seas!Help the viking chief with your knowledge of variables & counters to collect magical Runestones so he can travel the seas safely and protect his people.
Next...Head deep into the scorching sands of the Kalahari Desert. Use your expertise with conditional logic to help the San People gather food.
That’s just a taste of the adventures you’ll face before you attempt your hardest challenge yet… Reinvent the course of history with CODE!Test your mettle. Draw on your experience. Use your coding superpowers… and create your own animations and games!Put yourself in the shoes of these historical people to understand their everyday limitations. Learn to code by using examples from the civilisations to comprehend programming concepts. Then use code to prototype your idea in the form of a story, animation or even an application.
Example of a project done by a student of our class.With all the things you’ve learnt, who knows what you’ll be able to code to make the world a better place!
OH! THE STUFF YOU'LL LEARN!
Code a character to move about
Sequences, loops and events
Record, edit and add music
Increase complexity with Conditions and Variables
Add timers, life counters and scores
Test and debug using logic and systematic reasoning
Presentation time: On your last day, share with your parents what you've learnt!
LIFE SKILLS LEARNT
No lectures. No memorisation. No ONE right answer. Like real life, we're all about trying things out, failing, figuring what went wrong & trying again. These are the skills & mindset that will last a lifetime. Let's get kids to learn how to learn.Because the kids who learn to learn become curious, inventive, resourceful human beings who solve real world problems to make meaningful impact.
Parents love us
"My kids had a blast & came home armed with knowledge & information which they were excited to share with us." - Joanne, Parent
"Thank you for a wonderful and exciting enrichment program that is so much more than academics.. it’s fun but for me as a mum, an important future skill set for my son." - Rachel, Parent
Got more questions on this course of awesomeness?
Frequently Asked Questions
1. My child is new to computers and programming. Will he / she be able to follow?
Of course! Start with Scratch: Adventures in Time is our recommended introduction to programming course for kids 7 and up. Most of our students come in with no prior programming knowledge and they can still make awesome projects at the end of the day.
2. My child has done some Scratch programming at school. Should he/she still attend this course?
If you’re not too sure how much your child knows about Scratch programming, email us a link to your child's Scratch profile and we can take a look and advise you.
3. My child is younger than 7. Can he/she join?
Scratch was designed for 7-10 year olds but is used by people of all ages. Sadly, having a 6 year old in the same class as a 10 year old may not result in the best learning environment for the younger student. If your child is very keen, we can organise separate classes if there is a minimum of 4 participants. Please contact us directly to enquire.
4. I've enrolled my child, what will he/she need to bring?
We’ll provide all equipment and materials, but you may want to bring a jacket and light snacks in case he/she gets hungry. We'll give the class breaks in between so your child can take that time to sip on some juice and munch on those yummy crackers.
- This workshop will proceed with a minimum of 4 tickets sold. We will inform you in advance if the workshop is cancelled. Refunds will be made accordingly. Unless otherwise notified, the workshop will go ahead.
- We will be filming and taking photographs of the children in our workshop. By registering a child's attendance at this workshop, parents/guardians grant Saturday Kids a perpetual licence to use the student's work, photographs or videos of the student, and other materials for purposes such as publicising or promoting our workshops/events and the students’ accomplishments on Saturday Kids' website or on our partners' websites.