TRAINING NEEDS AND JUSTIFICATION - Based on performance and competency gaps
TRAINING NEED ANALYSIS : A two day course
(Why and How to conduct training need analysis)
Day 1: Identify critical performance gaps through industrial benchmarking
Day 2: Profile the non-performers based on best practices for their competency gaps
Training is about helping people to learn so that they can do their jobs to the required performance standards.
However most failed because the training programs are not based on the staff or organisational and business critical performance needs.
Training should be based on systematic assessment of both current and future performance needs.
Every year, the CEO and the HR manager need to identify the staffs that needed to be trained to improve their competency that is critical in achieving the goals of the company.
The performance need analysis is initially conducted to arrive at a set of Critical performance gaps where the compentency gaps are drawn.
The diagnostic approach draws conclusions by examining performance data produced by the company's financial system.
We strongly hold the view that compentency gaps should be initially filtered by the critical performance gaps.
Training however should be based on systematic assessment of current gaps and future needs of the organisation.
It include a step by step procedure for conducting a cost effective, evidence based assessment from performance gaps to the identifying of non-performing job holders and profiling their competency for competency gaps.
It allows the management to identify and conduct training that matches the needs of the organisation.
HR Practitioners, Heads of departments and Trainers
Financial Diagnostic Approach
Performance diagnosis are based on the financial statements
Use the ROE chart for sequencing Top down appraoch
Thus opinion survey is avoided with this approach.
Comparative study conducted between company against industry leaders
Performance gaps are further diagnosed to arrive at root causes
One of people problems could be competency gaps
Based on the industry, best practices are drawn
Conduct duty and task analysis to arrive at specific competency
At the end of the program, the participants shall be able
To conduct performance need analysis of his/her company.
Based on the PNA, to prepare a recommendation of training needs, it's action plan and justification.
Case study, performance based, and gap analysis
Assisted by prepared Excel templates and models
Identifying training or other solutions
Course Contents: 12 sequential steps
Performance gaps through industrial bench marks
Critical performance gaps identified (ROE Chart)
Problems and issues confirmed by performance charts
Solutions and changes identified through key result areas
Non-performers identified and other solutions applied
Competency Profiling on staff
Best Practices as the basis
Competency gaps identified and confirm with jobholders
Impact Study on ROE
How to measure performance gaps
- Using same KPIs
- Benchmarked against industry
- Gap or variance analysis
- Select critical gaps only
- Output input ratios
- Performance graphs
- Dynamic ratios
How to conduct root cause analysis
- Component ratio analysis
- Key Result Areas
TNA approach by financial diagnosis
- Gap analysis against industry using financial statements
- Critical performance gaps to be checked in dept for root cause analysis
- Solutions and change / best practices
- Low competency due to lack of outcome.
- Competency gaps identified through best practices
SOURCES OF INFORMATION
- The financial statements of company and industry best company.
- The ROE model of both the company and the benchmarked company.
- Critiical performance gaps first before competency gaps
- Non performers identified and profile for competency inadequacy.
- Use best practices drawn from industry leader evaluate as competency gaps.
The financial diagnosis is the best TNA approach because of the following reasons:
- The study is objective devoid of subjective factors such as opinion survey.
- The approach is efficient because financial data is available on time and real time.
- Financial KPIs are the common measure which facilitate comparative analysis.
- The ROI training is easily calculated.
Note: Training needs are a subset of performance needs.
Our TNA offers the following benefits
- True performance measured and identified
- Defining effective models in the business
- Able to measure the impact of change
- Thus the ROI of training could be calculated
- Simulate training gains and benefits
- alternative training costs
- Critical performance gaps
- Performance solutions
- Nonperformers identified
- Non performers profile
- competency gaps
- Competency mapping
- Integration with HR department
- Competench Framework
- Competency identification
Annual training plans
Presenting report to management
At the end of the workshop, you would be able to:
- Aligning learning priorities to business goals, strategies and focus.
- Conduct performance gap analysis which lead to competency gaps
- Identify the non-performers and the level they were in.
- To find business needs
- To find competency gaps of the non-performers